As an American I am accustomed to “living large.” By this I mean that American’s have a need for everything to be bigger, greater, and more impressive. From mega-plex movie houses to the Super Stop and Shop to the Biggie-size option at Wendy’s, I feel like I’m surrounded by a need to constantly reach new pinnacles and become greater than we already are.
Simplicity is the most greatly ignored concept in our country. Perhaps the success of competitive capitalism in our great democratic experiment has influenced this engulfing tendency towards reaching new heights. Often I find that it’s not simply enough for me as an American to take pride in my citizenship without the constant anxiety of wanting to be something more substantial and impressive. This need to redefine appearance, to scorn conformity in order to maintain an edge on the world is a complexity that defines our nations core competencies.
Living amongst the "brave and free" I often struggle to see anything more than a country filled with insecurity, overindulgence, and competition. Yet, I take pride in being who I am, in being an American. We are the quarterbacks on the global playground. Still, I can't help at wondering if the influence we have is the right one. I believe this concern for how we present ourselves is often the driving force behind our efforts to define ourselves. The question is, however, are we making the right decisions; because, it seems that there are many people in the world who do not think we are doing so. We have mined deeper and deeper in search of that ever elusive solution for something greater, though we may have disregarded the now unstable foundations that we channeled beneath.
Does anyone think we're on the right track?
Ever churning,
Bloom
1 comment:
I blog way too much about wendy's. I'm glad someone else does too.
Oh and you are right about the important stuff you were talking about.
Post a Comment